LOCAL residents’ fears have been realised as a large amount of rubbish appeared by the roadside on Mount Mackenzie.
Kelvin Waugh, who owns the property where a sofa was dumped along with household rubbish, said it was common for domestic waste to be left along the roadside but this was the first time furniture has appeared.
Apart from the unsightly mess caused by rubbish being blown across paddocks, his particular concern is that livestock will ingest discarded batteries and succumb to lead poisoning.
Batteries were among the party remains, newspapers, glass, cans, receipts, a birdcage and even a dead chicken that littered the area.
Mr Waugh said there was sufficient evidence among the garbage to lead to the identification of the culprits.
“It’s got to be a local. This isn’t a thoroughfare to anywhere,” he said.
He feels those dumping the rubbish should be made to clean up the mess, and be fined.
“It’s about time people got charged, and made to do some community service,” he said.
He said council has done runs up the mountain in the past to collect rubbish left by the road, “but this time they’d better bring a truck”.
In this instance, the council truck wasn’t required, with the culprit being identified on Monday, issued with a $750 fine and ordered to remove the rubbish to the waste transfer station, which was done the same day.
“If the illegally dumped rubbish had not been taken to the waste transfer station, a clean-up notice would have been issued for the rubbish to be removed within seven days or another $300 fine apply,” Tenterfield Shire Council general manager Lotta Jackson said.
“Only one more illegal dumping has been reported. This was minor and no identification was found. Staff disposed of the garbage.”
Ms Jackson said the fines and clean-up notices would apply where illegal dumping could be verified by evidence. Those fined had the option of taking the matter up in a court of law if they disputed the evidence.
“Illegal dumping is a cost to the community and the environment. It is illegal, unethical and irresponsible,” Ms Jackson said.
“Can I kindly ask that each and every one of us take responsibility for our own waste and use the services provided to dispose of waste safely. It costs money to manage safe waste disposal facilities and we all have to contribute to this cost for the benefit of the environment and future generations.”