Tenterfield Thunder have to wait another week

Amy Haynes clears the ball from the back line. Photo: Yvette Phillips
Amy Haynes clears the ball from the back line. Photo: Yvette Phillips

The weekend's fire situation saw the soccer grand finals postponed.

The Tenterfield Thunder women's team were due to face Ballandean at CF White Oval in Stanthorpe on Saturday but the bushfires in the area saw the match pushed back a week.

Football Stanthorpe advised of the circumstances on Friday.

"Incident control command center has contacted Football Stanthorpe and has advised they cannot guarantee safety and for sporting events to be held tomorrow," they said on their Facebook page.

"Therefore Football Stanthorpe advise that the 2019 Football Finals will be postponed till further notice."

The Tenterfield Star contacted Football Stanthorpe as to when the grand final will be played and, at this stage, is has been re-scheduled for 2pm on Saturday, September 14.

The Tenterfield Senior Soccer club have also altered the date of their annual presentation.

"Due to unforeseen circumstances we have had to postpone our presentation night," they said on their Facebook page.

"We will advise everyone of the new date once it has been confirmed.

"We apologise for any inconvenience."

Tenterfield qualified for the grand final after beating Stanthorpe City in a preliminary final thriller on August 31.

The Tenterfield women finally took a full squad into a match.

The Thunder struck within the first two minutes of the game with a low shot from Alana Condrick that managed to squeeze through the City keeper and goalpost.

Tenterfield managed to control most of the field position and possession with many opportunities wasted in the final third.

The game tightened up for most of the second stanza and it was City who found an equaliser with only ten minutes on the clock through a well finished shot by Lydia Barker.

With the teams deadlocked at 1-1 after the final whistle, the game was extended into another twenty minutes of extra time.

It was the Tenterfield ladies who found that extra determination to win as they forced their way into the oppositions half on many attacking plays.

A free kick was awarded to the Thunder well outside the eighteen yard box and it was forward Ellen Counter who managed to kick a screamer which sailed over the City keepers head and into the net.

Tenterfield solidified their win with another goal to Condrick in the last five minutes.

The Thunder women won 3-1. For a team who were sitting last on the table coming into the final game of the third round, a miraculous turn of form has seen the Tenterfield ladies make it to the grand final.