An emergency warning has been issued by the Rural Fire Service for the Long Gully Road fire, due to fire breaching containment lines in the Sandy Point area.
The fire is burning close to properties in the Sandy Hill area. Homes in the area of Macleods Creek Road are under threat.
The fire is continuing to burn south of the Bruxner Highway near Drake and Tabulam, to the west of the Clarence River, in the Girard State Forest.
Strong winds are being experienced. Fallen trees and fire may impact local roads, the RFS said.
The Bruxner Highway is closed between Tabulam and Tenterfield.
If you are in the Sandy Hill area, make your final preparations now. Seek shelter as the fire impacts to protect yourself from the heat of the fire.
If you are in the area of Drake, Ewingar, Tilbaroo and areas on the western side of the Clarence River, put your bush fire survival plan into action now.
Areas on the eastern side of the Clarence River should monitor conditions closely. Ensure you know what you will do if the fire impacts on your property.
If you live in the area but are away from your home, it may not be safe to return to your property.
- An Evacuation Centre at Tenterfield Showgrounds, 62 Miles St, Tenterfield is open today from 8am to 8pm.
- Members of the public can register their details prior to attending the Evacuation Centre. Visit the Register Find Reunite site at https://register.redcross.org.au and register for the 'Bushfire in Tenterfield'.
- If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
- Continue to stay up to date with the bush fire situation by checking http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au, listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
- For information on road closures, check http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au. Roads may be closed without warning.