One of the Tenterfield Railway Station Preservation Society's first acquisitions was a Villiers quadricycle.
Formed in 1991, the museum thanked the previous station master Max Cooper for helping to acquire the quadricycle, which was named for it's two-stroke Villiers motor.
At the time they were used by railway fettlers to carry their tools and equipment when inspecting or repairing the lines.
Manufactured in 1957 at the Goulburn Workshops by the railways these quadricycles became standard until the 1980s.
Initially built to carry one fettler an extra seat was soon added. Trays for carrying tools etc were fitted to the outriggers on some of them as well as extendable handles to make the lifting of the quadricycle off the track much easier.
The Museum is proud to have had the quadricycle since its inception 30 years ago.
As the years rolled on, more acquisitions appeared at the Railway Museum. Baggage and Porter's trolleys sat on the platform as they would have done many years ago.
The doors of the Museum opened more often, and the hours were extended as volunteers joined. Slowly the rooms that had lain empty were filled with displays and relics donated from families of past railway workers. As more memorabilia arrived the rooms started to take on their original purpose.
The empty tracks also began to receive rolling stock. The first being the MHO Brakevan 2609.
In 1938 the Railways contracted Ritchie Bros to build 10 MHO brake vans mounted on bogies that the Railways would supply under a separate contract.
No. 1921 built-in December 1938, became 2609 in February 1974 before being condemned nine years later in 1983.
However, this particular example received a reprieve to become L225 in January 1983 before becoming condemned again in September 1991.
Tenterfield became its permanent home in 1997. In that same year, the Trike Shed was rebuilt at the site of the original and eight track vehicles were received on loan from State Rail.
The Tenterfield Railway Station had opened in 1886 and Museum officials said it was a rare survival of an almost-intact nineteenth century railway precinct.
The surviving building is now the home to the museum itself where guests are welcome most days of the week to explore the origins of Australia's early days of rail travel. The station closed in 1989 with the society forming in 1991.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.