Men’s team finally gets taste of victory

The hard-won experience gained to this point of the season sees both the men and ladies teams score victories. While the Junior Colts may not have won their match, practised strategies are starting to pay off.

(Junior Colts report by Ellen Counter.) Saturday’s game saw the Junior Colts take on the very well oiled Stanthorpe City team. Tenterfield were not deterred though, going into the game with a positive mind set to improve from the last time the two teams met. 

Tenterfield started off strong in the first half, defending well and keeping City's strikers pretty quiet. Midway through the first half saw City score off some quick counter attacks. 

At halftime we revised the game plan of communication and keeping our defence united. 

The second half saw City gain momentum, coming out stronger than in the first half and scoring some quick goals. Tenterfield's defence did well, implementing strategies we had been working on at training to shutting down some attacks from the City strikers.  City ran away with the game, but it was well played by both teams. 

Tenterfield Junior Colts are developing each week, gaining more strength, confidence and composure each game they play.

(Ladies report by Glenn Caisley.) After a somewhat lack lustre performance last week, the Thunder Ladies were eager to find the form displayed in their first round matches. A youth-filled Stanthorpe City side didn’t offer much resistance as Tenterfield controlled the play from the starting whistle. Centre midfielder, Alana Condrick, slotted the first goal into the top corner after a well constructed move from the forwards. A short time later, Alana made a weaving run through City’s backline and directed her low shot past the opposition’s keeper. Striker, Murraya Horan’s return to the frontline, after a couple of weeks away, certainly strengthened the team’s scoring opportunities. After a few misguided chances, Murraya finished a well timed one on one chance by drilling a shot into the back of the net. Half-time saw a 3-0 scoreline to Tenterfield.

A keeper swap and a few other positional changes did not seem to slow the Thunder’s domination. Tia Campbell was quick to add another goal to the scoreline with a determined run through the middle and a well finished angled shot. Murraya Horan and regular keeper, Amanda Carpenter, both finished off excellent deliveries from out wide. A big thanks to Courtney Watt and Emma O’Brien who both stepped up and contributed to the comfortable win. The final score: Tenterfield 6-City 0.

(Mens report by Glenn Caisley.) The Tenterfield Men finally posted a win this season with a determined effort against Stanthorpe City. A couple of first round draws and close games against the top teams has built their confidence and strengthened their bond.

The Thunder's coach, Stan Hickey, has encouraged the boys to start games with more energy. The first half saw this energy, with plenty of field position and possession in the opposition's half. The end to end tussle resulted in a nil all scoreline at half time. 

The second half started with both teams amping up their attacks on goal. City were forced to take long range shots from outside the 18-yard box due to Tenterfield's solid backline. The Thunder's attack came from out wide and, after much persistence, the deadlock was broken. Forward Josh Gower placed a ball through City's centre backs which found Josh Collins. After a solid run towards the goal, he powered a shot through the keeper's hands and into the net. 

The goal seemed to spur City to find an equaliser and for the final 20 minutes they pressured Tenterfield relentlessly. A gutsy effort from the whole Thunder squad stopped many scoring opportunities and finally the three points were gained.


Discuss "Men’s team finally gets taste of victory"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.