The number of homes destroyed in bushfires in northern NSW has climbed to 22 as authorities continue to assess the damage while aircraft battle a blaze at Tabulam.
The NSW Rural Fire Service says so far 22 homes have been destroyed, 15 houses have been damaged, 73 outbuildings destroyed and 21 outbuildings damaged.
There were 28 bush and grass fires still burning across NSW on Friday evening with five yet to be contained.
The Tabulam fire west of Casino has burned through 4000 hectares so far and remains out of control. It's razed 10 homes and was downgraded to advice level as night fell.
"There is fire activity on the western side of the fireground," the RFS said.
"Crews will remain on scene overnight, and are working with landholders to protect properties where required."
A fire at Tingha, which was downgraded to an advice level on Thursday night, has ripped through more than 21,000 hectares of bushland and destroyed 11 homes.
Winds saw increased fire activity on Friday evening.
"Strong and gusty south-easterly winds are expected in the area between 6 and 8pm tonight," RFS said.
"There is an ongoing threat to property."
Crews are conducting backburning operations to control the spread of the fire.
One house was lost at Linton earlier in the week.
Less than 50 kilometres west of Tabulam, another massive fire at Wallangarra has burned through almost 29,000 hectares but is being controlled.
Firefighting crews from Queensland have been brought in to assist crews from NSW.
While temperatures ranged from the high-20s in coastal areas to mid-30s inland throughout Friday they are tipped to return to the high-30s in the state's north by early next week.
Bourke, in the state's northwest, recorded Friday's top temperature with 37.2 about 5.30pm.
The Northern Slopes and North Western regions are considered under very high fire danger.
Australian Associated Press